Design your own piece of jade jewelry
Do you want a one-of-a-kind, true Guatemalan experience all while supporting local communities, interacting with local Guatemalans and getting off the beaten path?
NOTE: We are not currently offering this tour. Please check back soon for future availability!
Join artisan Francisco in his oasis of a home to learn about the sacred jade stone. He has a beautiful, warm soul and will talk with you about choosing the piece of jade that "speaks" to you. Once it has, you will design your own piece of jade jewelry with Francisco as your guide. You will also learn about the history of jade and its significance to the Mayan culture as you share a cup of hot chocolate with Francisco and his family.
About the workshop:
- Available any day of the week
- Available at 9 am or 1 pm (need 1 day's notice to arrange with Francisco)
- Lasts approximately 4-5 hours
- Minimum of 2 people needed
- Workshop costs 500Q/person and includes instruction, tools, material and your final jade piece
- Translation can be arranged at an extra cost
- Workshops start from the plaza in San Juan del Obispo - 5 minutes by taxi or tuk tuk from Antigua. (It's easy to get here! Look at our How to Find Us page for directions.)
- Call 502-5585-4450 or email email@example.com
About the artisan: Francisco Zuniga has 40 years of experience as a certified jade artisan and has been featured in National Geographic. He has pioneered several jade-crafting tools and is one of the masters of his trade.
De la Gente offers community tourism as a way to create a real cultural experience by encouraging interaction between visitors and local Guatemalans, as well as to supplement income for the farmers and artisans. While De la Gente takes a small portion of the cost of the workshop to cover administrative costs, the vast majority goes directly to Francisco. All money from the sales of additional jade bought from Francisco remains with him. With the additional money from tourism the families are able to invest in education for their children, healthcare for themselves and their family, housing, and nutrition. Community Tourism - Changing Lives